Search THE READING ROOM

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

In 8 minutes, a response from The New York Times to my e-mail pointing out a typo in a headline

At 7:47 p.m. today I sent this e-mail to Margaret Sullivan, the Public Editor of The New York Times:

SUBJECT: May I point out a punctuation mistake in a headline?

Dear Ms Sullivan,

This is Ramesh Prabhu in Bangalore.

I am a huge fan of The New York Times and many of my blog posts (I teach journalism at a local media college) are devoted to NYT articles and blog posts that I think will contribute to the understanding among my students and other followers of the better aspects of journalism. Here is a relevant post: What our newspapers can learn from The New York Times.

That was by way of background.

I am writing now because I have spotted a punctuation error in a headline for an article on O.C.D. by Jane E. Brody.

The headline reads

O.C.D, a Disorder That Cannot Be Ignored

Surely a period is needed after the "D" (and before the comma).

I attempted to bring this to the notice of the editors by commenting on the article this morning (about eight hours ago). But the headline has not been rectified yet.

I look forward to hearing your views on the subject.

Sincerely,

Ramesh Prabhu
Bangalore

*
At 7:55 p.m. I received this reply:

Dear Mr. Prabhu,

Thanks for taking the time to write. I've let the editors in charge of the blog know of the typo.

Best,
Jonah Bromwich
Office of the Public Editor
The New York Times

***
Is it any wonder I think The New York Times is one of the world's greatest newspapers?

THE HEADLINE THAT GOT MY GOAT.
  • UPDATE (10:13 P.M.)
The headline typo is rectified. See below:


No comments:

Post a Comment