4. Science, Religion & Human Nature
5. On Birth, Death, & The Afterlife
6. Multimedia Matters
7. The Innovative & Creative
10. This Is A Business
There is also a sub-category: Bloggers of the Year.
- MOTHER JONES
Wealthy Western couples are flocking to India, where the medical tourism industry is offering the best deal on a vital commodity: wombs.
- THE ATLANTIC
"The author found himself utterly unprepared for one of life's near certainties — the decline of a parent." And then he discovered that he wasn't alone.
- THE NEW YORKER
"Modern medicine is good at staving off death with aggressive interventions — and bad at knowing when to focus, instead, on improving the days that terminal patients have left."
- THE PARIS REVIEW
The aged master, arguably the world's best non-fiction writer, reflects on his career and his method.
- THE AWL
An insider's look at what it's like to write for glossy magazines. You'll envy and pity the writer by the end.
The defining portrait of America's most famous movie critic, the cancer that cost him his jaw, and the unexpected turn his career has taken after all these years.
- Thank you, Nilofer D'Souza (Class of 2009), for sending me the link.
- In his introduction to the list, Conor Friedersdorf refers to Byliner, "a promising new site dedicated to publishing and sharing feature-length nonfiction", where his annual awards dating back to 2008 are soon going to have a permanent home. I checked it out — and my mouth began watering... again. What an amazing site! Byliner's tagline reads "Discover & discuss great reads by great writers". How apt! Check out Byliner today.