Of the 20 tips, here are my favourites:
- This is not school/college. You won’t lose marks because you don’t know something. You WILL if you don’t say so!
- Don’t be afraid of stating an opinion — be afraid of NOT stating one. You could be wrong, but won’t know if you don’t pipe up!
- Employers aren’t really looking for a bunch of yes-(wo)men. But they aren’t looking for a bunch of revolutionaries, either.
- Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, especially if you are young. You will thank me for this advice.
- Dare to look beyond your given assignment. “Good enough” never is.
- While you may ignore all my tips for your first job — don’t ever skip breakfast.
If you're about to begin your first job — or your first internship even — you should read all 20 of Chitnis's tips and then attempt to put them into practice.
- Thanks to Commitscion Jalaja Ramanunni (Class of 2009) for the link.
- UPDATE (June 20, 2013): Here's how to answer that near-universal job interview question: WHY SHOULD WE HIRE YOU?