No, he won't. That is why you should put your brain in gear before opening your mouth when interacting with your boss. Sunanda Poduwal, writing in The Economic Times on Sunday, elaborates on the issue. She also provides a list of 10 things you should not say to your boss ("I will try" is on the list):
- That's Not in My Job Description
- I Can't Do This Task
- I Just Never Got Around To It
- I Don't Know How To Do It
- I Am Overqualified For This
- Sorry, I Missed That Point
- I Need to Talk to You, It's Important
- I Will Try
- Don't Blame Me — It's Not My Fault
- Why Do I Need To Do This? This is Stupid!
- I would like to add No. 11: "I haven't had time to read your e-mail."
- And here's No. 12 from my perspective as a journalism professor: "I find reading a bore and writing a chore... but I want to be a media professional."
ADDITIONAL READING: "17 Things The Boss Should Never Say", by Dave Kerpen, an American CEO who is also a New York Times best-selling author and keynote speaker.